OpenLiteSpeed v LiteSpeed Enterprise

Hi

I have posted this question on the CyberPanel forum as well (https://forums.cyberpanel.net/discussion/5258/openlitespeed-v-litespeed-enterprise) but it was suggested to post it here instead.

We have recently been experimenting with CyberPanel and openlitespeed/litespeed enterprise. We setup a new server with openlitespeed first, installed a large WordPress system onto it and then setup external monitoring every minute of the page load times for the WordPress login page with WordPress caching plugins disabled.

Over the course of a few days the results were very consistent and the page load time was always around 1.7 seconds. So far so good, lets see what the Enterprise edition can do.

We then used the CyberPanel system to install a trial of litespeed enterprise making sure we didn't change anything else.

What we saw after the upgrade was that the page load times more than doubled to around 4 seconds which really surprised us.

We have had a look into it and we have noticed that if you poll the same page that the test is setup for (the login page) then the page load time is around 450ms which is excellent for an uncached page. If you always leave around 1 minute between page loads then the first time the page loads it take around 4 seconds.

There appears to be a process or deamon that I guess is shutting down between the 1 minute tests that gets fired up again when the website is visited again but we didn't see this problem with openlitespeed.

I tried to take a look in the WebAdmin console under Configuration > Virtual Hosts but the Enterprise version doesn't have any virtual hosts defined there, where as openlitespeed did.

I tried changing the "Run On Startup" setting to "Yes - Deamon Mode" under Configuration > Server > External App and the PHP version we are running and I also tried changing "Max Idle Time" to 120 but it didn't make any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on what setting can be tweaked to make the Enterprise edition as quick as the openlitespeed edition was!

Thanks
Mark Donne

serpent_driver

FYI: Most configurations in WebAdmin console are meant for use if no server control panel like Cyber Panel or other supported control panels is available. On your side there is nothing to configure to make LSWS faster.

If there is a difference in loading time it can only be caused by missing or disabled LScache in test version of LSWS. There is no other reason why LiteSpeed Enterprise is not as fast as OLS, because both versions are almost the same. Check this out: https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/editions

Thank you for your reply but there is definitely a setting somewhere that is shutting down some parent process quicker under the Enterprise edition when compared to the open source edition (or CyberPanel and CyberPanel Enterprise as they are known).

To prove this further we have just setup 2 new servers from scratch (again using CyberPanel) using the exact same commands on both and the only different thing we did during the setup was to choose CyberPanel Enterprise on 1 and CyberPanel on the other. We then copied and restored a backup of the same WordPress website to these servers and set them up on NodePing.

The CyberPanel Enterprise is returning a consistent 4 second page load time where as CyberPanel is 1.2 seconds.

Something somewhere in the config is different.

serpent_driver

Again, there is no known configuration or any reason what your described issue is caused by.

If you request URLs of WP can you see x-litespeed-cache: hit response header?

The caching system is disabled for both servers on purpose. The WordPress system we restored does not have the LSCache plugin enabled - we want to test the uncached TTFB.

We already know that with the cache plugin both websites have a TTFB of around 350ms but we are testing the uncached TTFB and this is where the results are so different.

Both servers are exactly the same except that 1 is CyberPanel and the other is CyberPanel Enterprise.

serpent_driver

If you haven't cache plugin for WP installed why do you compare it with OLS and installed cache plugin?! If there is no cache you can't expect to get more speed!

Yes, it is a controlled test and everything is the same. Same provider (us!), same linux distro, same updates. Everything is the same except 1 server was installed as OLS (option 1 of the install script) and the other server was LSWS (option 2 of the install script and provide key).

Hi, I now have the answer to this problem and Yes there is a setting that you can apply to fix this. This is what I had back from George Wang in LiteSpeed Support who is my new friend :D

"I think the main difference is that LSWS does dynamic spawn/fork PHP worker processes.
What we did to VPS519 is to keep forked PHP worker process alive for longer time, so when request comes in, there is always has a PHP worker to serve the requests. otherwise, it need to either spawn a new worker group, or fork a child PHP worker process to serve the request. that's the main cause of speed difference.

The configuration is "LSAPI_AVOID_FORK" environment variable, OLS should have applied that config as default. while LSWS does not.
https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...:lsapi-environment-variables#lsapi_avoid_fork

Generally, the default configuration of LSWS is leaning towards shared hosting environment. OLS is for single site."

I hope this helps someone else.

Mark Donne
HOST100