ruby-oci8 and connection reuse

zellster

Configuration:

LiteSpeed Std for Linux v3.3.24
LSAPI v3.5
Ruby v1.8.6
Rails v1.2.6
ruby-oci8 v1.0.6

After configuring my Rails application to work with LiteSpeed, connecting to the site results in the following exception:

RuntimeError (The connection cannot be reused in the forked process.):
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:683:in `initialize'
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:247:in `new'
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:247:in `exec'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.6/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:629:in `ping'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.6/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:198:in `active?'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.6/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:93:in `verify!'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.6/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:109:in `verify_active_connections!'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.6/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:108:in `each_value'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.6/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:108:in `verify_active_connections!'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/dispatcher.rb:110:in `prepare_application'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/dispatcher.rb:39:in `dispatch'
/opt/lsws/fcgi-bin/RailsRunner.rb:32

The error goes away if I comment out the following line in RailsRunner.rb:

#ActiveRecord::Base.connection.disconnect! and @reconnect = true if defined?(ActiveRecord::Base)

Is this due to the older version of Rails I am running, or something else to do with Oracle? The only docs I could find about this issue is from here:

http://groups.google.com/group/phusion-passenger/browse_thread/thread/b00d4770bc1d00b8

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
The DB connection must be closed after Rails application initialization bofore forking children process to serve requests.

ActiveRecord::Base.clear_active_connections! if defined?(ActiveRecord::Base)
Works for MySQL, may have issue with oracle, so you may need to close it explicitly at the end of initialization code of your app.