Recommended Wordpress setup with Litespeed?

Hello, I'm new to LItespeed and am upgrading with my host to LItespeed with the Litespeed cache plugin for Wordpress. I see lots of conflicting info from other sites on what the optimum setup with Litespeed is in terms of using other plugins and settings. Gzip compression seems to be generally agreed upon but beyond that some say to still use an auto minify plugin and/or something like lazy load, others says not to. Is there documentation anywhere of "best practices" when using Litespeed with Wordpress? I realize every site is different but it would be great to have some guidelines as to which types of plugins and settings could still give a benefit versus those that should not, especially for those of us who are not that technical. Thanks!

Pong

Administrator
Staff member
LiteSpeed cache plugin for WordPress will do the full page cache for you, default configuration should be good for most of the cases.
https://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php/litespeed_wiki:cache:lscwp:configuration
If you are looking for some object cache function or minifer, then you can use other plugin along with LiteSpeed cache plugin at the same time.
https://www.litespeedtech.com/suppo...ache:lscwp:customizations:multi-cache-plugins
Yep, I know they can be used together I was just hoping there were some best practices out there for what types of things work well in combination with LItespeed Cache to increase overall page load speed. It sounds like this does not exist?

lclarke

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid we don't currently have any kind of "best practices" document, but your question has stuck in my mind since you first asked it.
We recently published a blog post that might shed some light on at least part of your question: https://blog.litespeedtech.com/2017/07/12/wpw-caching-101/
While it doesn't give you any specific plugins to try, it does explain what the different types of caching solutions are.
LSCache is a page cache, which means it caches the entire page. Other types of server-side caches (opcode cache, object cache, database cache) kick in before the page is fully constructed. These types of caches aren't useful once a complete page is being served from LSCache, but they can be a good thing while the page cache is being populated, or to give a speed boost to pages that are not cacheable in their entirety.
There shouldn't be compatibility issues between these other kinds of caches and our page cache, but if you try them and you ever come across something that just doesn't seem right, be sure to let us know!

Thanks for the response. I hadn't seen the wordpress wednesday series previously so that is helpful. Perhaps future installments could talk about using specific types of plugins for speeding up page speed (not just necessarily cache type plugins as I'm sure most of your wordpress users are just looking for the fastest page speed overall no matter how they get there.) Cheers

I'm afraid we don't currently have any kind of "best practices" document, but your question has stuck in my mind since you first asked it.
We recently published a blog post that might shed some light on at least part of your question: https://blog.litespeedtech.com/2017/07/12/wpw-caching-101/
While it doesn't give you any specific plugins to try, it does explain what the different types of caching solutions are.
LSCache is a page cache, which means it caches the entire page. Other types of server-side caches (opcode cache, object cache, database cache) kick in before the page is fully constructed. These types of caches aren't useful once a complete page is being served from LSCache, but they can be a good thing while the page cache is being populated, or to give a speed boost to pages that are not cacheable in their entirety.
There shouldn't be compatibility issues between these other kinds of caches and our page cache, but if you try them and you ever come across something that just doesn't seem right, be sure to let us know!