Pingdom says I need to compress components with gzip

Unique_Eric

Administrator
Staff member
@Michael Broad
LSWS provides both brotli and gzip compression, by default, the brotli will be used. Since pingdom does not support brotli from day one, you can either ignore the warning, or try other tools, e.g. GTMetrix.

serpent_driver

LSWS provides both brotli and gzip compression, by default, the brotli will be used.
Please excuse me if I correct your comment as it could be misunderstood.

There is no default compression because the compression type depends on what compression is supported by the browser. If the browser does not send Brotli but the gzip Accept-Encoding header, the compression type is gzip, so there must be another reason why Pingdom complains about a supposedly non-existent gzip compression. Pingdom only sends gzip support with the Accept-Encoding header, which is why LSWS uses gzip as the compression type. That's why LSWS does everything right, so the problem, for whatever reason, lies with Pingdom.

by default only dynamic content compression enabled
Compression of static sources is also supported.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Join https://www.cachecrawler.com - Lightning fast Cache Warmup Crawler for Wordpress, OpenCart, PrestaShop, W3 Total Cache, WP Rocket, Shopware and Magento.

support-partner-label.png

Last edited:
Thanks, guys, for this. I helps a bit. But for someone like me who knows some coding but is not a true techie, I find it confusing. It is hard to find clear answers and fixes. Perhaps trying to please Google Core Vitals has become just too technical for the vast majority of website owners.

serpent_driver

It is hard to find clear answers and fixes.
You already got clear answers. The problem is not caused by LSWS, so you must ask Pingdom why Pingdom doesn't recognize gzip compression although LSWS uses gzip compression if the browser or Pingdom only supports gzip. Pingdom is not a reliable reference to check if a web server works properly.

Thanks. I mean that Pingdom provides misleading information based on what you say. It tells me that I should use gzip compression when it is appears to be happening already under Litespeed default settings. Or is Litespeed not doing it for some reason that I have missed?

serpent_driver

As already said, the LiteSpeed web server does what has been standard in every web server for 1000 years. This means that the type of compression used depends on what type of compression the browser supports. If the browser sends the value gzip with the Accept-Encoding header, then the output is compressed with gzip. You can check this yourself using the browser function via the Dev Console.

header.png