!n00b is crying 4 speed // installaton problem

First I would like to make a statement: I am new to Linux and web developent and I have not much exp in guessing how to solve problem w/o manual or pushing web administrator. Still I have already played (installed, configured and run successfully for a period of time) with Apache and Lighttpd, which run perfectly on my VPS hosting (Linux Centos 4.3 with all the updates to date). I have all the root access to do what I like and so on...

Now let's get to business!

I have an error while trying to start Litespeed Server (free edition) just after the install - I get an error "Can't determine the Home of LiteSpeed Web Server, exit!". The ssh shows this mess served with some horrible xml lines... I don't get why this happens and there is no clue in your manual or in google also.

Situation is similar to this. The difference is that I have no idea what could have went wrong 'cause I had no chance to do anything. (Apache was uninstalled before I started).

Pesronally I see no evident solution of my prolemmas.

Thank you. I will be very unhappy not to install your server. Very. Very seriously unhappy...

So, please be nice and tell me my fault. Or isn't any?

Last edited by a moderator:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Looks like it is a permission problem, try start the server with "root" user.
You probably install litespeed into user A's home directory, while let litespeed run on behalf of user B. User A cannot access configure file owned by user B, so when you start the server as user A, you will get above error.
If you install LiteSpeed into user A's home directory, then let litespeed run on behalf of user A when you install the server.

Thanks for help. The story about A and B was beautiful.

But it didn't work.The thing came wihout any change as I made an effort to make it work under root. It was funny when it said during install: Cannot stdout (C++, I presume!) - disk quota exceded.

Still no idea. :rolleyes:

Not to mention my screenShot:

Last edited:

xing

LiteSpeed Staff
Did you try to remove the existing installation and reinstall lsws and figure out why there was "disk quota" error message in the installation? We need to track the error to the origin ,the first occurrence, and in your case, the installation procedure.

Looks like Lsws was never able to finish installation with half-written corrupted xml configuration files due to the possible disk quota problem you noted during installation.

Thanks. Now it is more optimistic. Tomorrow (Oh, It is already today!) I shall try to solve it with my server support or kill someone else.
Thanks. I guess - it was my fault after all.