Former Zeus Eval looking for Answers

Hello,

I have spend quite some time with Zeus Webserver in the Past and created a rather stable Mass Hosting Approach. I'd like to know if this would be possible to do with LSWS aswell.

We have dozens of Users and wanted to Eliminate the delay until Webserver reload/restart until a Subdomain comes live. For this our usual Web Directory looks like this :

/home/userID/logs/ (self explaining)
/home/userID/tmp/ (php tmp dir)
/home/userID/websites/

content inside of /websites/ looks like this

*.domain.com -> domain.com
domain.com

we link *.domain.com to the domain.com subdir and use DNS wildcards for all domains. means even if you type 3478693nmsdfg.domain.com you end up on domain.com directory.

If a customer now wants a subdomain i.e. blog.domain.com he simply fires up his FTP client and creates a folder called blog.domain.com and its there instant. No webserver reload no nothing.

Another very nice Feature of Zeus is the Automatic Mapping of Scripts to the User Owning the Subserver.

As far as I understood the LSWS CGI Resource Configuration it is possible to have all Scripts executed under the User ID of the DocRoot owner. How do you configure the Server itself ? In our Test Environment we run lsws under the user id of Nobody. But then the Webserver itself cant enter the Subdirectorys.

In your Documentation you explain the use of tempaltes and the ability to duplicate them, however I couldnt find any button to duplicate them or do you mean by duplicate that you copy the .xml file and create a blank template name ?

Is there any Best Practices for this approach ? Or is LiteSpeedTech offering Implentation Consulting ?

Thank you

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Hi,

Thank you for the inquiry.

LSWS does not have a matching feature exactly like what you have done with zeus, however, it can be easily implemented with some simple rewrite rules. We can add a feature like that if needs.

As far as I understood the LSWS CGI Resource Configuration it is possible to have all Scripts executed under the User ID of the DocRoot owner. How do you configure the Server itself ? In our Test Environment we run lsws under the user id of Nobody. But then the Webserver itself cant enter the Subdirectorys.
For web server itself, it should run on its dedicate user/group id. Since web server has to have at least read permission in order to serve static content under a user directory. You can configure the user permission like this. Each account should its own user id and dedicate group id, user directory should be owned its own user and group, permission should be "0750" or "0770". User ID of web server should be added to each user group in order to get proper permissions for accessing all user directory. Since all scripts were executed under user's own user ID, nobody can access other user's file. I think zeus uses similar approach.

The duplication you refer to probably is to duplicate similar vhost configurations with template. If you want to duplicate a template, you have to do it manually now, we may add a feature to the web console in the future.

Yes, we provide consulting services. Feel free to contact us. :)

Hope I anwsered all of your questions. :)