Not Automatically Making jpg's into WebP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've had litespeed for some time. It's always reliably turned jpg's I upload into optimized WebP files. Now, for some reason, it's no longer doing this. I've (re)checked my picture optimization settings against the tutorial and my settings are correct. Does anyone know why LiteSpeed would suddenly stop working?

Or... am I being impatient? Does it take LiteSpeed a while to turn jpg files into WebP files? I've waited 5 - 10 minutes for single pictures to appear as a WebP in my wordpress backend, but no success so far.

Thanks.

Chris

serpent_driver

A webp image is not generally or always used. If the file size of the original image is smaller than the webp image, then the original image is used. The reason for this is that LiteSpeed or quic.cloud converts images into the webp format, but the converted webp images are not optimized. This is why well-optimized jpegs often have a smaller file size than webp images.

By the way, you don't need quic.cloud to get webp images because you can convert your images into the webp format yourself. Everything you need for this is already on your server in most cases. If you want even better images than webp images, then use the avif format, which enables even better image optimization and often results in a file size that is up to 50% smaller without any loss of quality. This is especially true for images that have been converted using quic.cloud.

https://www.cachecrawler.com/WP-Plu...e-Conversion-for-LiteSpeed-LScache::6574.html

Will respond to your comments above below, but quickly, if you or anyone has a possible solution to my problem as stated above, I'd be grateful for your help.

Regarding your response/assistance above: Thanks for your help, but the jpg's litespeed will not transform (as it should, per the settings I've made in the plugin) are between 200kb and 1mb. So, litespeed's failure isn't because the uploaded photos are smaller than a webp it would otherwise make.

I'm something of a pedestrian with wordpress, plugins, etc, but my understanding was that webp is almost always preferable to a jpg. As to "optimizing" a jpg, I don't know how one does that, other than to make it as small a file as possible, while maintaining acceptable quality.

I have no idea what quic.cloud is, but will look it up.

Back to my original question: do you have any idea why litespeed has stopped working AND, most importantly, troubleshooting steps I might take to resolve this?

Thanks.

I just went through the LiteSpeed instructions again and now see that something has changed. The new instructions have a section labeled "Create WebP Versions." (see below)

However... the plugin as it exists on my wordpress backend does NOT have this section. So, I can't choose to create a webp version.

Again, for several years, Litespeed has automatically created a webp photo automatically whenever I uploaded a jpg. It also converted all of my legacy photos into webp files.

I've gone through settings and, as best I can tell, updated LiteSpeed. Nevertheless, litespeed still doesn't offer me this new setting "Create WebP Version." Nor does it convert new jpgs into webp.

Anyone have a solution.

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.