Litespeed servers seem like a marketing scam, are they really faster?

Jinesh

There are so many users on Reddit saying that Litespeed (Open Litespeed) servers are "faster" than Nginx and then when other people ask them for evidence they just disappear or they say they saw some benchmarks tests online and provide no links or information.
Literally the only case study I have seen showing Litespeed to be fast was a case study they published on their own website. It is even more dishonest that they tell everyone to install their bloated "LS Cache" plugin for WordPress, which async all the javascript on your website to make it seem like its loading faster (and often ends up breaking your website too)... I mean if their server is SO GOOD then why is their bloated minify/cache plugin required to achieve results https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ ??
So I want to know, has any reputable and independent DevOps expert actually concluded with fair comparison testing that Litespeed outperforms Nginx? I think this is a hilarious claim because I have never seen any case studies concluding this. And knowing that Litespeed is just a repackaged version of Apache servers (meant mostly for shared hosting companies who want to put hundreds of websites on the same web server with a cPanel license) then it makes it even funnier for me.....
From what I have witnessed, it seems that most Litespeed "fans" don't actually know anything about Linux, Nginx, web servers, or DevOps, but just want to look cool and so they repeat this shit from other people on the internet to feel justified in overloading their $10 cPanel server with 50+ websites from their clients, because they aren't skilled enough to use Nginx.
If you look at the top 100++ websites on Alexa, like every single one of them uses Nginx almost or maybe Lighttpd in some rare cases. Even the new Caddy server is more lightweight.
Seriously is anyone using "Litespeed" except for shared hosting companies selling WordPress hosting? Or random wannabes setting up a VPS with a cPanel license?

Last edited:

serpent_driver

I mean if their server is SO GOOD then why is their bloated minify/cache plugin required to achieve results??
There is no cache plugin neccessary for WP and you can use LScache for (almost) every application, but it is more comfortable with plugin than without. All you need is a few lines of rewrite rules in .htaccess to make LScache available.

Maybe you know LScache is a HTTP Cache like Varnish, but the benefit of HTTP Cache has "only" affects on PHP Pages and it doesn't optimize the loading of static sources like CSS, Javascript images and so on. To get a fully optmized website you must optimize both, PHP generated pages and static sources. That is why cache plugin for WP looks bloated, but again, you don't need any plugin to get LScache work. If you can write rewrite rules you can use LScache without plugin. I did it for a couple of applications where is no plugin available.

Don't care about comparison testing, just make a test by your own. No need for any special knowledge about nginx. Install LiteSpeed in 60 seconds without downtime or look for a hosting provider with pre-installed LiteSpeed and cPanel. You will never want anything others again. Promised! :)