Get this into Portage!!

SoreGUms

I'm going to attempt to install this now on vanilla Gentoo 2007.1 - hope it all just works.
There is no apache installed, or php, or mysql - I thought that's what vanilla meant...

1 thing that is not really clear though in the docs. IS apache required? I'm reading between the lines and think the answer is no. I'm also assuming most people just have apache installed, things go wrong they then go "crap apache is being real shit now, is there anything else??" so makes sense it can be dropped in.
WHAT IF you've seen the light and you've made the switch from apache to litespeed on one server then you need to setup a new server for whatever reason, why would you install apache?

Oh well lets see how things go...
(I've never had to install something outside of portage before...... that's because everything I've ever needed was in there, yeah its that great!)

EDIT: Please thank you - this looks really great and do whatever to get it into the Gentoo Community with ease, which should be all good, good, good - thanks again

Last edited:

SoreGUms

Well I've managed to install it and PHP 4.0 is there - so i have to figure out how to get PHP5...
I'm still trying to get a new VHost going - this is pretty hard/time consuming - though once i get the first one it'll be all good form there.

So also i understand LSWS needs to get something into the main PHP package - is that ever going to happen? There isn't much point having LSWS in Portage if you can't actually use the system PHP install...

GL getting LSWS into Portage - I could help you test it out if you want :)

ts77

emerge dev-lang/php
will install php-5.2, then you only need to configure a fastcgi-app in lsws-admin and you'll be done.
The only thing you won't have in there is the LSAPI which isn't a problem for me.
Good luck trying to get the lsapi in php. I tried for the gentoo folks and they laughed at me.

SoreGUms

well I've just done it manually...
I installed the portage one first with all my USE options and just copied the configure line and did it manual. I followed these instructions
total hack but oh well...
Now on to Opcode

LSAPI for me :D

I don't want php4 only php5 - so my way suits my needs better, thanks though

Last edited:

ts77

I like it much more to have php under portage-control to have it updated quickly but hey, its all about choice =).