awstats / solaris

jrmarino

It's not been a good 24 hours. I have found something else that doesn't not behave as describe in the documentation + wiki: Awstats.

Facts:
  1. LSWS 3.0.1 / Solaris 10
  2. ran install script, verified /add-ons/awstats --> /add-ons/awstats-6.6
  3. virtual host uses SSL
  4. update mode = dynamic
  5. working dir =$VH_ROOT/awstats
  6. uri = /awstats/
  7. update = hourly
  8. secured connection = yes
  9. server restarted several times

the wiki and instructions say this:
After applying the configuration changes, you can access the statistical results produced by AWStats by accessing the “AWStats URI” you specified.
The problem is, after I restart the server, I get a 404 error at the https://Site_Domain/awstats/ URL. The directory remains empty. The documentation also indicates that the dynamic mode has a perl script to generate the pages dynamically.

Despite reading the documentation several times, did I skip a step / do something wrong or is this another feature that may be broken on solaris?

jrmarino

It's not working yet, but my immediate problem is user error. I forgot to use the port. Litespeed is running HTTPS on a non standard port right now and I forgot to put that in the URL.

jrmarino

so this is the error I get:
Error: Couldn't open config file "awstats.secureArea.conf" nor "awstats.conf" after searching in path "/export/home/syn/www_secure/awstats/conf": No such file or directory

- Did you use the correct URL ?
Example: http://localhost/awstats/awstats.pl?config=mysite
Example: http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=mysite
- Did you create your config file 'awstats.secureArea.conf' ?
If not, you can run "awstats_configure.pl" from command line, or create it manually.

Check config file, permissions and AWStats documentation (in 'docs' directory).
However, this is what the wiki says:
AWStats configuration file is generated automatically based on a model configuration file /conf/awstats.model.conf, which is copied from lsws/add-ons/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/awstats.model.conf.
(emphasis mine)

That automatic copy did not occur. I guess I'll try to do it manually.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Have Perl work properly on the server? Is there any thing related in error.log and stderr.log?
You can try switching to dynamic mode, if it breaks as well, some log messages hould be left in either error.log or stderr.log.

jrmarino

copying the model.conf is only partially successful (pages are generating). I update the site name and log location, but the icons are broken and other paths as well. Something was supposed to generate that conf file and it did not.

it's not reading the log either even though the path is correct.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Maybe it is a permission issue along the path of /export/home/syn/www_secure/awstats/, the user that LSWS run as does not have permission to copy the file over.

jrmarino

No, that can't be it because the user and the group for the awstats directory were the webserver and the permissions were set to 777. It should have had any problems creating files and subdirectories in that folder. I removed the conf file and restarted the server and it did not copy the conf file over (I'm not sure when it's supposed to try though)

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
How about "/export/home/syn/", user's home directory usually has strict permission masks, that is why I said "along the path of ...".

jrmarino

It has read/execute permissions all the way to /awstats which is 777 as I said.

Just to make 100% sure, I just "su" to webservd user and moved to each directory without any problem.