Webserver automatically restarted / cPanel 11.25

ffeingol

With the release of cPanel/WHM 11.25 we're just getting flooded with 'Web server ### on ### is automatically restarted' emails. From what we're getting from cPanel this is because of their new log processing process. The process renames the log files (web site access files) and then issues a graceful restart to close off the log files. It then process the logs and removes then. The problem is that this can happen as often as every 15 minutes. That could be as many as 96 extra emails (per server) per day.

Since we can't change the way cPanel works, it would be really nice if LSWS now added an option to suppress the emails on a automatic restart. Yes, I know that we can simply remove the email address in the admin but then we won't get the restarted for 503 emails and we won't get update notices.

Bono

Looks like that is bug and not a feature. Server shouldn't restart every 15 minutes that is just insane and I don't need to mention that it renders purpose of caching useless.

ffeingol

You can call if a bug if you like, but I'm just reporting what I got from support. I also did not say that it 'would' restart every 15 minutes but that it could do that (depending on how many domains you have on the server etc.). It's issuing graceful restarts which lets the current processes end (and close files) so I'm not sure there is really any impact from a customer site.

Bono

So you do not care if cpanel restarts your LiteSpeed server 96 times a day? My Litespeed server had uptime around a month or more without restart and everything was fine, now I see bunch of restart which of course are clearing my cache so I see a lot of cpu spikes.

ffeingol

I'm not happy with how many restarts there are, but I'm not sure there is a whole lot we can do. Most of our servers would naturally be restarted many times per day as clients create add-on domains, resellers add on domains etc. Based on our monitoring (it's only been a couple of days) there is no difference on server load.

Bono

I don't know they broke half of my server, urchin also cannot allocate memory. I have difference in load because my server can hardly handle that amount of load without caching so until caching kicks again load is high.

Tony

What cPanel is doing is very strange and why in 11.25 to suddenly do it I have no idea. The worst part is as far as I could tell the potential to writing to the stats log was minimal to begin with. Unless the site was very large running through the stats was relatively fast. So you might lose out on maybe a few hits not tracked in the stats program but that's fine. That's better than restarting constantly which it's doing now.