[solve] best setup for a site that gets 500k+ monthly uniques?

hi guys

i have a client i'm trying to help setup with litespeed.
his site gets over 500k+ monthly uniques.
he is currently on 2 apache servers, which usually have load from 5 to 12+, and often producing 408 errors.

i'm pretty certain his site will function fine just on a single server w/ litespeed but what's the proper configurations for such case?

his site also uses perl/cgi, and i am wondering if there will be any special configurations i need to do to support that. does litespeed support perl/cgi out of the box?

currently i have a 2x hexcore intel romley cpu w/ 256gb memory, intel 520 ssd, so hardware wise i think i'm pretty good shape.

normally i never configure litespeed settings and i just use what's given by default. but i'd like to know if there are things i need to customize, pleaes let me know.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

NiteWave

Administrator
>litespeed support perl/cgi out of the box
yes

>i just use what's given by default
default setting usually fine

when lsws running, watch the Real-Time Stats and adjust those default settings accordingly.

hi nitewave thanks.
so now i am testing out his script site which is in perl/cgi and i'm now getting:

premature end of response error

any idea?
he did also mention that he had a test server w/ litespeed and it was working fine at the time. i wonder what i'm doing wrong?

so i've identified it the problem stems from line:

use Session;

is there some known problem w/ this line?

for instance this errors out:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Session;
print "Content-type:text/html\n\n";
print "hi";
exit;

but this doesn't:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type:text/html\n\n";
print "hi";
exit;