Question about how to configure LS with multi-tiered Rails app(s)

Hi,

My startup has a 256M slice over at SliceHost. We are pushing out a new app that is actually three small Rails apps.

WebApp1 is an Internet facing app; currently it is a very lightweight app.

ResourceApp1 and ResourceApp2 are Rails apps that have NO public facing UI. They are set up as Active Resources for WebApp1. Again, very lightweight.

I need to understand how to:

1) Monitor the memory and CPU usage of all three apps so I know how much each needs.

2) Tune each one appropriately so that (hopefully) they can all three run in the space we have.

I've been using LiteSpeed for a couple of years and am familiar with it for everyday apps that do not require a lot of handholding.

But this is different. Can anyone give me some direction as to what parameters I need to pay particular attention to in my attempts to monitor and tune these three apps?

Am I fooling myself to think I can get all three to run in 256M?

VERY much appreciate any insights!

Chris

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Rails' memory footprint is very big, it really up to how much memory you app uses. I think the best choice for you is to combine your apps if possible.

LiteSpeed can have the app start on demand, your backend apps can start this way if does not need to run all the time. If you only need one instance for each of your backend app, set "Max Conn" to "1".