Nginx + Apache but LiteSpeed + what?

redstrike

Using LiteSpeed alone is your best choice.
In case i scale out, a load balancer will be stand front of backend LiteSpeed servers. Ngix/Squid/Varnish/HAProxy - Which will be best suit with LiteSpeed?

My site mainly serves streaming media like Youtube.

Thanks.

NiteWave

Administrator
In case i scale out, a load balancer will be stand front of backend LiteSpeed servers. Ngix/Squid/Varnish/HAProxy - Which will be best suit with LiteSpeed?
if have to choose 1 from the list, then HAProxy. litespeed load balancer is another choice.

nginx can help you if you have a lot of slow clients (like mobile devices)
nginx will be like a very fast client for scripts on litespeed - litepseed will be able to send data to the nginx very fast and your script will finish faster too. + you can cache some data with nginx

anything

ive 4 x litespeed webservers behind a pair of LVS loadbalancers, which is behind a cdn
seems to work nicely, is a nice feeling when your gigabit uplink is the bottleneck

ive always been a little confused as to why i'd setup a cluster of servers, then bottleneck all my ssl connections at the loadbalancer. i like lvs because it need not care about the data, it just tunnels tcp connections. each server is handling ssl, distributing the load is the point isnt it

in the end i dont think theres really much difference between loadbalancers. your choice is all about the features you feel are important

i've found HAproxy to be rather poor performance when you need to do sticky sessions
Varnish is great, but doesn't support SSL (last i checked). i use it where i need to enforce caching
Squid is super slow, don't even bother
nxinx i haven't used since the documentation was in russian.
and i've yet to test litespeed's loadbalancer, mostly cause ive already got a solution that works

Last edited:

redstrike

Thank you.

If sticky sessions isn't a problem with me, Will Varnish be better than HAProxy? I want to cache dynamic contents too.

redstrike

A server which is running Varnish mainly - Load balancer + Front cache server, will RAM or the CPU speed or the uplink of banwidth be the important thing? Please choose 2 of those factors to help me.

Last edited:

redstrike

Use LSWS with 2-CPU license, it will give your basic load balancing and cache,
I am not sure varnish can do load balancing or not.
I have tried the trial of 2-CPU license, it seem difficult to config basic "load balancing"? I want to distribute the load to other backend servers.

webizen

basically you need to:

1. create web server external app for each backend at server or vhost level
2. create a load balancer external app with proxy::backend* created in 1 as worker
3. create a load balancer context at vhost level using load balancer external app created in 2.

That's it.

Refer to below wiki (also covers cache proxy for 2-CPU license) on how to create web server external app:

http://www.litespeedtech.com/support/wiki/doku.php?id=litespeed_wiki:reverse_proxy_cache

TQ. OK, I have 2 question,

1. I'm installing litespeed with cPanel. How to do load balancing since I don't insert vhost in litespeed?
2. When you say basic load balancing, is it just by round-robin?

webizen

TQ. OK, I have 2 question,

1. I'm installing litespeed with cPanel. How to do load balancing since I don't insert vhost in litespeed?
2. When you say basic load balancing, is it just by round-robin?
proxy, load balancer external app are LSWS specifics which only available for LSWS vhost. iow, you need to create LSWS listener and vhost as frontend proxy to access backend (cpanel vhost).

basic load balancing is _not_ round-robin in that load balancer will not route traffic to a backend when it becomes unavailable.