Mystery of processing photos?

George,
I'm able to deploy a VMWare stack with all the goodies and Litespeed and able to run my application perfectly.
However, when I deploy the same code to my BlueBox VPS my photos won't save. The BlueBox people took my same code and deployed in an Ngnix and Mongrel configuration and it worked fine.
Do you have any ideas where I should look? Below is their message;
Thank you,
David
We did some further testing, and it doesn't appear the the problem is with imagemagick/rmagick, or your application code, but in litespeed.
As a test, we used mongrel to run another instance of your application, and with nothing else changed, jpg uploads started working. We took a look at your litespeed admin console, and found the following is the error that's generated when you get the 503 error:
"[131.191.41.223:53313-4#windspar] connection to [uds://tmp/lshttpd/windspar:_.sock] on request #0, error: Connection reset by peer!"

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Looks like the ruby process crashed during processing a JPEG image.
You can try increase the Memory Soft/Hard Limit and Process Soft/Hard limit under "Ruby" tab.
Or, maybe rmagick require a special Environment variable, you can try adding environment variables in the "Environment" option.

Can you reproduce the same problem with your local VMware?

George,
That's the frustration that when I load the entire stack into a VMWare local macine with CentOS 64 bit and your stuff, it works just fine.
Furthermore, for about 10 months I was running Litespeed on the same server with my original ( windspar ) application and all photo issues worked fine.
I hired a consultant to add another application ( itracker ) to the VPS and a new Virtual Host and that's when things went south.
Today, I took off the new application ( itracker ) from your Litespeed server to see if it was a memory issue and it ( windspar ) still wouldn't save photos without 503ing. To make matter worse, I then added back another Virtual Host to put back itracker and whenever I access the application I 503? The static pages of the new site serve fine, but it doesn't seem to want to start Rails.
It's something like 'evil spirits' moved into my VPS server.
If you would like specifics about programs and pages to see this behaviour, it would be my pleasure.
If you told me to buy your 64bit version to fix this, I gladly would. So far I've paid out $1,800 in consultants to try to get this working.
David

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Is the VPS 64bit? If yes, you should try the 64bit enterprise with the trial key, if it works, then get a VPS license. If not work, I can take a look at it.

Trade money, pizza and beer for some help?

George,
I'm feeling like a guy whose new air conditioner doesn't work and the plumber is saying its the electrician and the electrician's saying it's the plumber!
My application was running Litespeed 32bit saved photos just fine until 9/27/08 and now it doesn't. It saves .png photos, but not .jpg as it did.
You propose my buying the 64 bit of which I'm most happy to do, but my VPS is able to get things running ( in absence of Litespeed knowlege ) in a Nginx / Mongrel configuration and all is well. I know you're the brilliant one and far superior to all others, but I need your help to get over this speed bump!
How about you help me to get one application running in the 32bit (as it was) and I'll pay for pizza and beer for your whole office and also buy the 64bit.
I'll give you all password to get in to look around.
David

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
If you have a 32 bit vps, you have to use the 32bit LSWS.
Please PM me a temp root login to your VPS and detail on how to reproduce the problem. I will check.