Modsecurity gives 500 server error

skooboy

Using the latest version on CentOS 6.8 64-bit WHM/Cpanel. I added this to /usr/local/apache/conf/modsec2/whitelist.conf

#IPB posting
<LocationMatch "/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=sendReply.*">
SecRuleRemoveById 300016
</LocationMatch>

It worked for over a month, however, I noticed that it gave a 500 server error when I tried to send a private message containing over 8 lines with Invision Power Board. If I type a few lines, it doesn't throw any error. This never happened on previous versions with the same lsws settings, haven't touched them in years.

Here is the entry from error_log:

[98.x.x.x:51321-0#APVH_forum.com] mod_security rule triggered!
[Mon Feb 16 22:58:32 2015] [error] [client 98.x.x.x] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 500, [Rule: 'ARGS' '(insert[[:space:]]+into.+values|select.*from.+[a-z|A-Z|0-9]|select.+from|bulk[[:space:]]+insert|union.+select|convert.+\(.*from)'] [id "300016"] [msg "Generic SQL injection protection"]
2015-02-16 22:58:32.916 NOTICE [98.x.x.x:51321-0#APVH_forum.com] Content len: 1072, Request line: 'POST /index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=sendReply&topicID=88900 HTTP/1.1'

Any ideas?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
According to Apache documentation, query string part wont be matched with LocationMatch, only the URI part, so the rule wont be removed.
You may have to use chained rule to do that.

skooboy

But it doesn't block if I type a few characters in the message so I think it may be due to something else.

Do you know how to do it with a chained rule?