Error pages don't double fault

Hi there,

If you have a 404 error page that is set to an external server, and the external server is down, when you go to an invalid URL you get the internal/default 404 message, rather than the page configured as the 503 Gateway Not Connected message.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Thank you for the bug report. :)

I am not exactly sure what the problem is,

If it is an absolute URL pointing to an external web server, the request will be redirected to that server via 3xx redirect response, if the external server is down, the request will fail.

If it is a URL that will be handled by external application (CGI/fast CGI/Proxy), then the external application will be invoked, if it failed, status code 503 will be returned probably.

If it is a URL pointing to a non-existing resource on the same server (that will result in 404 code), the built-in 404 error page will be returned.

Please let me know the exact scenario in your case and your expectation. :)

Thanks,
George

mistwang said:
If it is a URL that will be handled by external application (CGI/fast CGI/Proxy), then the external application will be invoked, if it failed, status code 503 will be returned probably.
That doesn't seem to be happening. I stop the external (FastCGI in
this case) application, and it falls straight back to the built-in 404.

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
The web server will use the default error page if it detects the external application is unreacheable right away. I think it is better to return 404 than 503. If possible, let the web server manage the Fast CGI application, those kind of external application error could be recovered automatically. :)