cgi suexec / cPanel server

ffeingol

Hello,

How do we enable/configure cgi (i.e. perl scripts) suexec when we're using a cPanel / Apache httpd.conf setup?

TIA,

Frank

ffeingol

Yep, it's there, but does not seem to be working:

Code:
<VirtualHost x.x.x.x>
ServerAlias www.xx.xx
ServerAdmin webmaster@xx.xx
DocumentRoot /home/xx/public_html
User xxx
Group xxx
ServerName xx.xx

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
  suPHP_UserGroup xxx xxx
</IfModule>
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
  php_admin_value open_basedir "/home/xxx:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp:/opt/lsws/share/autoindex"
</IfModule>
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
  php_admin_value open_basedir "/home/xxx:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp:/opt/lsws/share/autoindex"
</IfModule>

User xxx
Group xxx
BytesLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/xx.xx.xx-bytes_log
CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/xx.xx.xx combined
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/xxx/public_html/cgi-bin/
</VirtualHost>
Here is the code we're running:

Code:
#! /usr/local/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<html><body>\n";
print "hello word\n";
open(PASSW, "/var/cpanel/whmtheme");
while (<PASSW>)
{
  print "*$_ *\n";
}
print "</body></html>\n";
When we access the page we get:

hello world
*x *

So the script is able to open /var/cpanel/whmtheme which is well outside the sites "home directory" and I though would be unaccessible.

TIA,

Frank

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
If the user have read permission on that file, then the script can still read it. LSWS only guarantee itself won't be tricked to serve anything out side the document root, it has no control over a script unless the script is placed in a chroot jail.

You can make the script run slower and check the process uid.

ffeingol

You can make the script run slower and check the process uid.
Can you explain this a bit more?

I ran a quick test and you are correct that Apache suexec can read outside the document root (something I did not think it could do). suexec, however, enforces that the uid/gid match or it won't run the script. Is this possible to do with LSWS when it's reading the Apache config?

TIA,

Frank

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Just add something like "sleep(60)", so you will have time to check the process uid with "ps" command. I believe that the script is run as the uid/gid of the owner of document root.

ffeingol

Well LSWS mimics Apache there are checks in place with suexec to insure that the uid/gid of a cgi script matches the uid/gid given in the vhost container.

Frank

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
LiteSpeed uses the uid/gid of the owner of the document root, instead of the owner of the script, in most cases, those two should match.
When they do not match, document root uid is preferred, as it is more secure to us.

ffeingol

Hmm,

Sorry to keep taking right turns here, but either I'm not understanding or suexec simply works "differenty" under LSWS. In a default cPanel install let's say we have the following:

/home/user-1/
/home/user-1/public_html
/home/user-2/
/home/user-2/public_html

under /home/user-1 I create a simple text file (let's just call it junk.txt). In user-2 I created a small cgi program (perl) that opened /home/user-1/junk.txt. Under Apache suexec I got a 500 error and a message in the suexec log that the uid/gid does not match (so the file could not be opened). LSWS otoh easily opened the file.

I'm hoping I just have something configured wrong.

TIA,

Frank

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
I got a 500 error and a message in the suexec log that the uid/gid does not match (so the file could not be opened)
I might be wrong, but I believe the 500 error is not because the CGI accessing another user's file, Apache will not check what the script does. Apache suEXEC has many restrictions, in this case, maybe the requirement of ownership of the script does not meet. You will get 500 error even when the script trying to access a file under user-2's home directory. Apache simple wont run the script no matter what. If all the requirement of Apache CGI suEXEC has been met, the script should has not problem access user-1's file, same result as with LSWS.

To prevent one user from reading or writing another user's file, the file system permission need to be set properly. If you make user-1's home directory NOT world readable, then scripts run under user-2 will not able to access user-1's files.

ffeingol

Sorry, not trying to stir up trouble, but I'm trying to evaluate LSWS as a "drop in" replacement for Apache on cPanel. Here is the line from the suexec_log:

Code:
[2007-08-02 13:13:10]: error: target uid/gid (32003/32005) mismatch with directory (32003/32005) or program (99/99) or trusted user (0/10)
You are correct that Apache does not check the file ownership or what the script does, but suexec does. While I agree that permissions may not be optimal, it works as we expect under Apache/suexec and it works differently under LSWS. We just need to figure out a way to make LSWS work like Apahce/suexec.

TIA,

Frank

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Not a problem.

Some of the restriction of Apache suEXEC is not necessary to me, as when you make suEXEC happy with the script permission, the end result might be exactly as what LSWS produce without those restrictions. :) Basically, we want our suEXEC implementation easy to use while maintain the same level of security as Apache's.

In this case, what you need to do to make Apache suEXEC happy with the script? I assume you need to fix something like ownership/permission of the script. After the fix, does the script work differently than what LSWS does now?

We are open to suggestions on enhancing the security of our product, and we will be very happy to implement a useful feature. :)

I might be completely wrong as I am not a expert on Apache suEXEC, your current Apache suEXEC may not allow a normal user to execute any CGI script in suEXEC mode, as it may require the script owned by 99/99 or a user other than the user who own the directory, it is not possible for a normal user to change the file ownership.

ffeingol

Well I think this one is necessary :D First ignore those other uid/gid's. I'm 99% sure it means that it can't be one of those (they are nobody and root). The closest thing I can equate this functionality to is php openbasedir. We simply could not rely on clients to keep directory permissions correct. There are way too many open source packages that say "chmod 777 ...".

I'm going to send you more details via PM as I don't want to publish these details in public.

Frank

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
The way Unix/Linux file system permission works is that if the parent directory is not world readable, then its sub-directories are not world readable no matter what the permission mask is on the subdirectory.

So, if the permission of a user's home directory has been set properly, then other user cannot access any file under that user's home directory no matter what is the permission mask of individual file or directory. Usually, the permission of a user's home directory is set properly by the control panels.

Apache suEXEC care about script file ownership because it run script under the same UID of the owner of the file, while LSWS run everything under the UID of the owner of document root directory, regardless the UID of a specific CGI script.

ffeingol

mistwang said:
Apache suEXEC care about script file ownership because it run script under the same UID of the owner of the file, while LSWS run everything under the UID of the owner of document root directory, regardless the UID of a specific CGI script.
I do not believe this to be true. Apache/suexec runs it with the uid/gid that is given in httpd.conf with the User/Group directives. If the User/Group in the config don't match the user/group on the file it will never even run the program.

Frank