What's missing for cPanel to officially support litespeed

wanah

Litspeed enterprise is the best webserver for shared hosting. It's well integrated with cpanel.

What are the known reasons why cPanel doesn't partner with litespeed like they have done with Cloudlinux ?

The only thing I can see is that litespeed's support model is only public whereas cPanel and Cloudlinux come with private support included.

Also maybe litespeed's licencing model is not very clear and lots of people move away because they misunderstand what they get.

Both cpanel and Cloudlinux have unlimited licences unlike litespeed.

Are these the things that are preventing cPanel from partnering with Litespeed ? I'm board of cPanel requesting that I switch off litespeed and would love for it to be officially supported.

I'm going to check if a feature request exists for this on cPanel, if it doesn't I will create it but first I would like to know more about why it hasn't already happened :)

wanah

Thanks,

Has there been a discussion with Cpanel about litespeed beeing officially supported ?

Is there an official position from litespeed or Cpanel ?

Michael

Staff member
Howdy,

Why cPanel doesn't support LiteSpeed is a complicated question. Perhaps the biggest reason is that most people in cPanel are experts in Apache, but not experts in LiteSpeed. They recognize that Apache and LSWS are similar in some ways (which is why they are willing to look at LSWS installations to some degree now), but they are reluctant to go so far as supporting it unconditionally. That would be a big, time-consuming step for them.

We have talked to them about this in the past and are still talking to them. Recently, they have shown more interest in LiteSpeed, though they are still far short of ready to make the jump to supporting us. I think we're on that path, though, and that it will happen in the future.

Please let them know what you want. They know that there are many LiteSpeed users that use cPanel, but it will help to show them just how many people want this.

Cheers,

Michael

wanah

I belive this is now in the process of becomming true… can you give us any details about the official litespeed support ?

Michael

Staff member
It certainly is. cPanel has actually been supporting LSWS since 6/23. We wanted to roll it out slow, though, so we've been holding off any official announcements until this week.

You're the second person to ask today. How did you hear about it?

Michael

wanah

Hello, any news on this ? I see you announced that Plesk now supports litespeed as an official plugin, it would be nice to know a bit more about cPanel's official support :)

Michael

Staff member
Hey Wanah,

We're trying to coordinate all promotional materials to coincide with when cPanel has materials out, but if you've got any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

As for the Plesk Extension, being on their official catalog is still a little ways from them offering to support LSWS-Plesk installations. I believe, though, they will still give it their best shot when they get support questions.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Staff member
+1

Integration will take time for them — they've got a lot of moving parts — but, yes, please do things like this. It helps cPanel know what their customers want. (And their customers want LSWS!)

m