[solved] Removing Powered By ?

ofsen

Hi is it possible to remove the Powered by (ServerToken) from 404? I can create a custom error page but I don't wanted to do that.
Currently I get:

404 Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server!

Powered By LiteSpeed Web Server
Lite Speed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!

But I only want to see:
404 Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server!

Regards.

zoom

While it's true you can create custom error pages for hosts the server will still report the Powered by message if the vhost can't be found on the server.

There isn't a way to customize the server messages, only the vhost. It would be nice the have the option to omit the Powered by message at the server level.

Hi I hope I'm not digging this post up from the grave, but I was curious as to where the option to turn off the "Powered by Litespeed" as this is a mild security issue for us when we are using litespeed.

If there is no option I guess the best way would be to create custom error pages that hide it.

We're currently using 4.1.1 Enterprise.

Thanks in advance.

no option in lsws to turn it off. custom error page is the way to do it.
Alright; sounds good thanks again for the quick reply.
Could I bother to ask if Litespeed may in the future have the ability to hide its name on these pages or will people need to stick with creating custom error pages?

Don't expect it to happen. They promised it years ago and we're still waiting.
Ya I wasn't expecting a solution as I've seen this thread and others like it in the past saying you have to use the normal error control. I do find it very odd that a web server of this nature does not have a simple function to turn it off; not sure what they are building behind closed doors here at Litespeed, but hopefully something good.

Either way the company I have been working with decided to drop litespeed and migrate over to other web server technology for a couple reasons, and this being one of the biggest reasons. And I do agree with XN-Matt in his other post, when you run more than one site and have to create custom error doc for each site is just time consuming and very annoying. But there are other issues Litespeed should address also; but any who I'm not here to gripe or bad mouth anyone.

Hopefully litespeed will be coming out with better functionality.

XN-Matt

not sure what they are building behind closed doors here at Litespeed, but hopefully something good.
I don't think it is even that involved. Just more they don't want to give up all that free "advertising" revenue to bump their backlinks and boost their site popularity.

If it was free software I would understand but at the price they charge, it's just not good enough. Even Apache allow you to remove it and that's not charged.

I don't think it is even that involved. Just more they don't want to give up all that free "advertising" revenue to bump their backlinks and boost their site popularity.

If it was free software I would understand but at the price they charge, it's just not good enough. Even Apache allow you to remove it and that's not charged.
There are pro and cons to litespeed; I just find way too many cons to make it worth while to deal with the headaches with it, its unfort. because the LSAPI PHP speed is pretty nice; but nothing that I cannot spend a good day or two tweaking things out on an apache or reverse proxing with an nginx\apache or just going nginx all together.

Not much we as customers or looking to be customer's can do about their software; I do find their limits on some of their note stuff odd also. I think I'll stick with my free open source or design my own if it really ever came down to that.

XN-Matt

Very much agree. It is shame, we're willing to pay the money as the software works, but this little niggle just has stopped us buying more.

Their loss as there are other options on the market now that cost next to nothing.

cmanns

Very much agree. It is shame, we're willing to pay the money as the software works, but this little niggle just has stopped us buying more.

Their loss as there are other options on the market now that cost next to nothing.
We're very angered at this too.

We advertised & test case'd LiteSpeed ignoring the cost for the benefits.

I don't see the benefits of a webserver that restarts every few hours, supports 150/hour, and the updates are terrible.

We don't even get notified or proper releases, change logs are very vague. :rolleyes:

We're very angered at this too.

We advertised & test case'd LiteSpeed ignoring the cost for the benefits.

I don't see the benefits of a webserver that restarts every few hours, supports 150/hour, and the updates are terrible.

We don't even get notified or proper releases, change logs are very vague. :rolleyes:
Well my personal experiences have been far and wide with Litespeed from early version to the latest and greatest and I have never been slapped with a major "wow" factor for the software. I do give them the GUI is nice for making configuration simple for someone who doesn't want to deal with cmd line/config files, but outside of that I don't see Litespeed being anymore than Apache with a custom LSAPI build to run PHP 5x faster; and it is true if you are a person who doesn't want to spend mass amounts of hours and a good amount of resources to find a good balance with a web server of the same nature as Apache.

I do find that this company is a bit slow and does not seem to like to do requests or suggestions that clients give. Again I know there is a differences between forum support and paid support. I can say at least they have a good base of members that help other members with issues, but simple requests and feature sets to their program seem to not be a high priority for them. But I'm sure they have reasons as to why they do and don't do stuff who knows, its behind closed door we may never see ;).

I personally find that if you do not like the way a company is running their software it is better to find a solution to that or build your own. Being Apache is one of the biggest backends of servers, you can always write your own stuff for it to speed up everything or use other software or their in connection to others.

Monarobase

Sorry to up an old request, but we are running Litespeepd 4.2.2 and want the simple option to remove the "powered by" lines.

Setting a custom error page is not a solution as it removes the ability for cPanel users to edit their custom error pages from within cPanel.

We need a simple option to remove the "Powered by" lines.

The reason why we need this option is that our customers contact us to request that we don't link to litespeed on their websites and non english speaking (as well as some english speaking customers) contact us about the lines :

"LiteSpeed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!"

I understand the reason for these lines, and the only solution I see is to remove the whole "Powered by" section and just keep the default message for instance :

404 Not Found The resource requested could not be found on this server!
An even better solution would be to give us templates for the default error pages that are used when a customer doesn't have his own error pages.

Last edited: